Thursday 7 January 2016

Day 3 - Sight

Well, my webcam arrived, nothing spectacular, just some Logitech HD thing. I figured it would do the job.
Plugged in and ready to go.

I managed to find some Python packages that suit my needs, unfortunately they sit on an older version of Python that I was currently using. Which is fine, it just means I need to do some compatability testing at some point. My main goal today was to make sure I could open my camera via python.

And I managed it, sort of. It's annoying because I wanted to tick of "Stage1" tonight. Basically it turns on, but doesn't turn off. It quits responding and crashes about 2 seconds into activation.
This is a fairly big problem at the moment, but at least it turned on, so that's positive.

Whilst typing this, I had a brainwave, 15mins or debugging and it works.
Running the code, the camera turns on, clicking the mouse turns the camera off.

It's baby steps, I understand that but the components are slowly coming together.
I now have code that -  Turns on a camera
                                   -  Checks a database for a list of names and returns if it knows (Soon to write                                           new names into the database as  a rudimentary memory)

But yeah, I feel like I'm in a good place with this after the first few days of work.

Stage 1 was to give my AI (still need a name) sight. Mission accomplished.
Now, onto the more complicated things

Next steps  - Still need a name, possibly SEER
                   - Move my memory code over to Python 2. whatever I'm using now, 2.7 I think
                   - Work on writing things to memory

At least I dont have to spend any more money for a while. I'm thinking the next expense will probably end up being a server or something, long way to go until that becomes something approaching a necessity though.


First picture from SEER

No comments:

Post a Comment